Will my device support my attendance at CoNZealand?
The answer is: yes, most likely it will. To deliver a good Convention Experience, we are using many components, all of which work on many devices. Even if some of the systems won’t work perfectly on your device, you should still be able to engage adequately with CoNZealand. This page will tell you what you need. “Device” means a computer, smartphone, tablet, or web-connected TV.
To get the best CoNZealand experience, your device should be able to:
- surf the Internet using a modern browser. Chrome, Brave, Firefox and Edge have been tested,
- log in to the CoNZealand website (https://conzealand.nz/registrations/),
- join the Zoom test meeting (https://zoom.us/test) Click the shield (or settings) icon, check your camera on the page, and your speaker and microphone on the page, and
- watch videos from Twitch and YouTube without the picture or sound stuttering (https://www.twitch.tv/ and https://www.youtube.com/).
The WebRTC Troubleshooter (https://test.webrtc.org/) provides a good check. Click the Start Button. If you get ticks on everything except IPV6 and Reflexive Connectivity, your device should be OK.
You will need a Discord ID to use the Discord-based chat rooms. If you have not used Discord before (or do not have a Discord ID) then follow these steps:
- Go to https://discord.com
- Click the blue Open Discord button
- Discord will offer a userid, but you should tailor your userid:
- Click the Settings cog (lower left next to the headphones)
- In “My Account” pick a username (or accept the default), add the email address you used to register for CoNZealand, and select a password.
- Click Save.
You can use Discord from a browser, but most users find that the experience is significantly better in the app. We recommend that you install the app from the Download tab on a discord.com page.
Over the five days of CoNZealand, you will probably use between one megabit per second (Mb/s) and three megabits per second. If you join for ten hours per day you could use 60 Gigabytes or more of internet capacity. You should confirm that your plan is suitable. We recommend having an unlimited plan for the duration of CoNZealand. Ideally you should be able to stream at 10Mb/s or more, and you can test this with https://speedtest.net
If all of these tests pass, you should have a good experience. However, we can’t test every device, or guarantee that every device will work. CoNZealand does not have the resources to support specific situations or combinations of hardware. If your general web-surfing experience is good, and you can stream YouTube videos comfortably, then most likely your CoNZealand experience will be good too.
You will find more information on getting help at the links below: