The bid for ConZealand was started sort of accidentally. You can read about it on this page.
What’s been going on since then?
- Conventions and Incentives New Zealand contacted us and offered their support. We have a letter offering logistical support, as well as actual cash to help with the bidding process. A convention of the size of a Worldcon is a significant event for New Zealand. Most people when coming to New Zealand will tend to take the opportunity to make it a holiday and spend more time than just the convention in the country. This has significant economic and social benefits.
- Tourism NZ has ben A-MA-ZING. They have been supportng us with suggestions and postage.
- The fan community in New Zealand is keen to see this happen, with some understandable reservations. Much the same reservations as anyone else has when approaching a project of this magnitude. But the meetings we’ve had have been impressive with a lot of fans showing up at 9AM on a Monday morning of a con to talk about a Worldcon in New Zealand. I think you will agree that this is shows enthusiasm. The Smofcon South held in December 2016 was very postive.
- The fan community outside New Zealand is keen to see this happen. And there have been many offers of help. Which we will need.
What’s happening in the future?
- Here in New Zealand, we will be adding elements on Worldcons to our local conventions. On a smaller scale to be sure. But this will give us some level of practise.
- We not only have a bid table and parties at world conventions but we have our ambassadors, armed with Bid Backpacks, spreading the word at other conventoins around the world. Plus the fans who reguarly turn up to help crew the bid table at the cons. We couldn’t do this without these guys. If you want to volunteer to help, talk to someone at out bid table.
- The big milestone we are aiming for is 2018. This is the year we get voted on. We are looking forward to making some noise at San Jose!
Where are we now?
- We have finalised facilities in Wellington. See our Facilities section for more information.
- The dates we are bidding for is Wednesday, 29 July through Sunday, 2 August 2020.